April 26, 2012

A knitter for all seasons - 3KCBWDAY4

As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?


Καθώς έρχεται η άνοιξη στο βόρειο ημισφαίριο και αυτοί στο νότιο ετοιμάζονται για τον χειμώνα, πολλές πλέκτριες βλέπουν να αλλάζουν τα πλεκτά τους μαζί με τα ρούχα τους. Κοίταξε τα πλεκτά σου και εξήγησε την εποχικότητα που παρατηρείς. Φτιάχνεις ζεστά μάλλινα όλο το χρόνο ή μένεις κάπου που κάνει ζέστη και φτιάχνεις μόνο πράγματα για το σπίτι και ανάλαφρες δαντέλες; Πώς επηρεάζει ο καιρός τα πλεκτά που φτιάχνεις; 

Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf

This topic is very interesting for me and it's an area where I'm constantly trying to find some balance. I love knitting with wool, I love wearing wool and I love looking at it. It's soft and easy to knit with. It's warm and cozy. Unfortunately, I don't get to wear it as much as I would like. It does get cold here in the winter and sometimes it snows too. But it's not enough for me to need lots of big, cabled sweaters.

My wrists are also a bit sensitive and I have trouble working with cotton or linen yarns. That's another reason why I prefer knitting with wool and why I try to find the best projects to make the most of my knitting.

I've made lots of hats, shawls and socks and I've enjoyed wearing them a lot in the winter. Lace shawls work well in warmer weather. Actually anything with thin yarn, a loose gauge or with lace is better than a thick fabric. I'm interested in knitting more clothes for myself, so I'm knitting some short sleeve cardigans and sleeveless tops. I'm generally trying to come up with ideas so that I can wear the things I knit for more months every year.

My other solution is to knit with wool blends. I love wool with bamboo and wool with cotton. They are better for my wrists but cooler than plain wool. And, if I am knitting with wool, I like to work on smaller projects in the summer, like socks or gloves. A big project in my lap just gets too warm.

Also, no matter how much I love knitting and no matter how hot it gets here in the summer, I am never going to knit myself a bikini. Never.

--
To see more blog posts on this topic, Google the tag 3KCBWDAY4. I hope you're all enjoying the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week!

Thessaloniki

Αυτό το θέμα είναι πολύ ενδιαφέρον για μένα και είναι κάτι που προσπαθώ συνέχεια να βρω μια ισορροπία. Λατρεύω να πλέκω με μαλλί, να το φοράω και να το κοιτάω. Είναι απαλό και εύκολο στο πλέξιμο. Είναι ζεστό. Δυστυχώς δεν το φοράω όσο θα ήθελα. Κάνει κρύο φυσικά το χειμώνα και καμιά φορά χιονίζει κιόλας. Αλλά δεν είναι αρκετό για να χρειάζομαι πολλά χοντρά πουλόβερ με πλεξούδες.

Τα χέρια μου είναι επίσης λίγο ευαίσθητα και έχω πρόβλημα με τα βαμβακερά και τα λινά νήματα. Αυτός είναι ένας ακόμα λόγος που προτιμώ να πλέκω με μαλλί και ο λόγος που προσπαθώ να βρω α καλύτερα πλεκτά ώστε να αξιοποιήσω όσο περισσότερο μπορώ το πλέξιμο που κάνω.

Έχω φτιάξει σκουφάκια, σάλια και κάλτσες και τα απόλαυσα πολύ το χειμώνα. Τα σάλια με δαντέλα είναι καλή λύση για όταν κάνει περισσότερη ζέστη. Βασικά οτιδήποτε με λεπτό νήμα, πλεγμένο χαλαρά ή με δαντέλα είναι καλύτερο από ένα χοντρό ύφασμα. Θέλω να πλέξω περισσότερα ρούχα για να φοράω και έχω ξεκινήσει μερικά ζακετάκια με κοντά μανίκια και μερικά αμάνικα μπλουζάκια. Γενικά προσπαθώ να σκεφτώ λύσεις ώστε να φοράω τα πλεκτά μου περισσότερους μήνες το χρόνο.

Η άλλη λύση είναι τα νήματα που είναι μαλλί με κάτι άλλο. Λατρεύω το συνδυασμό με μπαμπού ή με βαμβάκι. Είναι καλύτερα για τα χέρια μου αλλά και πιο δροσερά από το σκέτο μαλλί. Και, αν πλέκω με μαλλί το καλοκαίρι, προτιμώ μικρότερα πλεκτά, όπως κάλτσες ή γάντια. Ένα μεγάλο πλεκτό στα πόδια μου είναι υπερβολικά ζεστό.

Όσο πάντως και αν μου αρέσει το πλέξιμο και όσο ζέστη και να κάνει εδώ το καλοκαίρι, ποτέ δεν θα μου πλέξω μπικίνι. Ποτέ.

--
Για να δείτε περισσότερες αναρτήσεις σχετικά με αυτό το θέμα, γράψτε στο Google τον κωδικό  3KCBWDAY4. Ελπίζω να σας αρέσει αυτή η εβδομάδα blogging για το πλέξιμο!

7 comments:

  1. I love your lace work. And you live in a beautiful place. There is somethings so soothing about water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you on the bikini. Totally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeeeeah, i also find the idea of a yarn bikini...squicky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you--no knitted bikinis or underwear. Period. I know what you mean about the achiness. Mine is not so much the wrists as the thumbs. I have troubles with the thumbs (I think I get it from my mom) and it's worse when I work with cotton. I find that even when shawls are knit with wool laceweight or fingering, you can still sometimes drape them over a strappy dress or sleeveless top in the summer. Of course, we have cool summers here, which I like! I would really love to visit your country some day though! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate knitting with cotton as well. It's just so hard on the hands! Crocheting with it isn't so bad, though.

    Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got such gorgeous views in your city. I'm a big wool or wool blend fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures! I love to knit with wool and bamboo blends, also. The projects end up with amazing drape and softness. Hannah Fettig has quite a few lace/fingering weight sweaters that might work well for you.

    ReplyDelete